Media Coverage Highlights SNAP Waiver Debate in Colorado

by | Mar 10, 2026

Last week’s State Board of Human Services hearing on the proposed “Healthy Choice” SNAP waiver drew significant media attention across Colorado and nationally, amplifying the voices of SNAP recipients, advocates, and community leaders who spoke out about the potential negative impacts of restricting food choices for low-income families.

After nearly seven hours of testimony, the Board ultimately delayed a final decision, acknowledging the serious concerns raised by communities across the state.

Featured Coverage

One of the most comprehensive pieces came from The Colorado Sun in the article Polis plan to ban purchase of soda with food stamps stalled by concerns it would shame low-income Coloradans.” The story highlights the core concern raised by advocates and SNAP participants: that restricting food choices could increase stigma and confusion for families without addressing the root causes of hunger. Here’s a few clips directly from the article:

“Dozens of people who packed the meeting in person and online were concerned that Coloradans with SNAP would face embarrassment or judgment at grocery stores if they mistakenly tried to use the benefits to buy soda or high-sugar fruit juices. People living in shelters “already experience very little choice and dignity in their daily lives” and grocery stores are some of the “few places where they can experience autonomy and normalcy,” said Julie Hall, program director for the Homelessness Awareness and Action Task Force in Englewood.”

“Hunger Free Colorado said the rule would mean that shoppers, including those without smartphones or not fluent in English, would have to stand in grocery aisles trying to read and interpret nutrition labels. Drinks made of less than 50% fruit or vegetable juice would not be allowed. The rule is confusing enough, the organization argued, that people would not be able to buy flavored mineral water or hydration drinks like Pedialyte.

“This is not about health — it’s about hunger,” Mariah Guerrero, senior public policy manager for Hunger Free Colorado, said in a news release. “We cannot afford to increase food insecurity in Colorado under the guise of public health.”

Read the full article here.

National outlet Newsweek also covered the debate in Major SNAP Benefits Change for Thousands Stalled Amid Fierce Backlash,” noting that the proposed policy could impact roughly 600,000 Coloradans who rely on SNAP.

Additional local coverage from Hoodline captured the tension of the hearing and the broader debate over who should decide what families can purchase with food assistance benefits in their article, “Colorado Food Fight: State Board Kicks Can on SNAP Soda Ban.

 

What Comes Next

The Human Services Board is expected to revisit the proposal at their next board meeting on Friday, April 3, 2026. Hunger Free Colorado and our partners remain committed to ensuring that efforts to improve health do not come at the expense of dignity, choice, or access to food.

We’re grateful to the community members who shared their stories and expertise during the hearing. Their voices have played a key role in pushing the board to pause and reconsider this waiver. 

If you would like to testify at the next hearing on April 3, 2026, please sign up to take action at bit.ly/StopSNAPrestrictions.

@

Return to blog